Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Enable live streaming on website

I have a server colocated in a datacentre (dedicated 1Gbit line, SSDs, etc.) running CentOS 5.4 64-bit.

I want to stream live video from a device (webcam, camcorder, whatever.) to my server which inturn can re-broadcast it on demand through a flash player (such as Flowplayer) so that more users will be able to watch the stream since the server is quite fast.

Does a solution like this exist already (streaming software from live source to flash media server) or will I need to hire someone to code it? I see that VLC has an option to stream video.. will that be suitable in this case? Or is there a better way to do it? I don't want a browser based solution on my end. It'll be great if this can be done without running an X server but I don't mind either way. This will be running on a dedicated PC at home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment