Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Office 2010 silent activation after unattended installation

I've created an unattended install of Office 2010 using the OCT. We are using a MAK rather than KMS (not my decision). Is there a way to activate Office 2010 after the install? Even though the key is set during the install, it does not activate.

I don't want the users to be prompted to activate since this is going to be in a lab environment.

  • In case anyone was wondering - Office installs OSPP.VBS in the office14 directory and can handle office activation, among other things.

    In OCT I set it to run c:\windows\system32\cscript C:\"Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /act during post-installation.

    All office products are activated after that. I have it silent install Visio, Project and then Office and have Office kick off the activation after and all three products are activated at once.

    From MarkM
  • Hi Mark, My University is working on an Office 2010 rollout as well. I think one of our guys may have figured out how to configure the silent installer but now it doesn't run properly in the login script. We would like to put it in the login script and install for certain users on certain days. Do you have any suggestions?

    MarkM : Hi Jen, you should post this as a new question so that others may find it more easily. What doesn't run right in the login script? Did he make a transforms by running setup.exe /admin?
    Jen : Thanks, Mark. I will ask the System Admin to chime in. I don't know what he did. Thanks!
    From Jen
  • I have been trying unsuccesfully to push out an Office 2010 install via a Netware 6.5 login script (Netware client 4.91SP5). We're using the script to call a batch file on a network share which tests for the workstation's installed O/S version (winxp or win7), then checks for an existing 2010 install, and if not found, runs the Office 2010 setup.exe file.
    The batch file executes as designed, however setup errors out with the Windows message: "Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components." This is the same error that gets returned when I try to install Office 2010 with a Novell ZenWorks7 Application Launcher app.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. My workaround is to email users a shortcut they copy to their desktop that points to the install batch file on a network share; this seems to install the product without issues.

    MarkM : Kevin, can you please post this as a new question. This is a Q&A site and not a forum. I can give you a couple tips, but I am unfamiliar with Novell/Windows integration. You will get much better responses from the community if this is a question of its own.
    From Kevin
  • @ Kevin - I've see this before in our my environment. This error usually occurs when in the script you is finding setup.exe in one of your path variables, what you need to do is point to it using a specific path.... eg S:\Office2010\setup.exe or "\servername\foldername\setup.exe

    @MarkM - Exactly what I was looking for, Thanks!

    From Carl
  • Not to muddy the waters on this post but I set this up using this command in OCT:
    [WindowsFolder]\system32\cscript [INSTALLLOCATION]\OSPP.VBS
    With the paramater of /act

    Just in case someone else needs that info. Ross

    From boezo
  • Thanks Carl. Putting the UNC path in the batch file which calls the setup and config file worked for me.

    Cheers

    From Jamie
  • Guys,

    I have tried adding [WindowsFolder]\system32\cscript [INSTALLLOCATION]\OSPP.VBS into OCT however this did not work.

    I create a batch file separately to run c:\windows\system32\cscript C:\"Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /act however this doesn't work either.

    Users are still getting the activation window on first time run of Office, however if I login as an admin, everything works fine "/

    From Greg

0 comments:

Post a Comment